Skip to main content

Amazon - interesting facts....

I hadn't expected wifi in the Amazon  (there was!) so had left my "technology" back in the big city. This, therefore, will be a mix of refelctions on a time which I feel truly blessed to have experienced....
The Amazon Rainforest is the largest equatorial forest in the planet, occupying 6.5 million square kilometres - one guide suggested that you could fill the whole european landmass ( pre Brexxit!) into the same area and still have space left over....!

The river Amazon only truly begins (with that name) after the city of Manaus, where I landed. Before that, the river enters Brazil (from the Peruvian Andes) as the Solimoes River and joins with the River Negro (on which I based my stay) beyond Manaus - this is known as the "meeting of the waters." (Google that phrase and you should see fascinating pitures of two distinct, differently coloured rivers flowing side by side before converging to form the mighty Amazon.)

Why did I choose to stay on the river Negro? BUGS!!!
The River Negro, as it passes over the sandy soils of the Central Amazon, has a high flood season - the water level rises some 18 metres! Much vegatation is, therefore, completely covered and results in the decomposition of vast amounts of organic matter ( leaves, branches, fruit etc.). Such vast amounts of  decomposition affects the water, turning it "acidic" (PH3-5). Bugs ( like mosquitoes!!!) DON'T like this kind of water and so keep away. The likelihood of being bitten (and  developing Malaria) is, therefore, much reduced.
(I am,however, still taking the anti-malarial medications as a precaution!)

The climate on this part of the Anavilhanas Archipelago National Park is very hot and humid (reminding me of the Malaysian rainforest) and after an hour's jungle walk my shirt was as if I'd been wearing it in the shower...
Average temperatures range 77-81F ( it was 30-34C whilst I was there.) and rainfall exceeds 3,000mm each year.
(Blaenau Festiniog has a bit of catching up to do!) It being the "dry" season I only experienced one torrential shower ( complete with ominous thunder ) whilst visiting a local village nearby.

Final statistic ( for those still awake!) - Scientists believe the greatest diversity of animal, bird and plant life anywhere in the world is evident in the Amazon Rainforest area - including some 239 indigenous communities speaking approximately 150 different languages.
From the tiniest ant to the remotest human community, this vast, beautiful area refllects the wonders of creation and reminds me of the infinite grace and love of a God who cares for it all - including you and me....!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walthamstow - seen in passing....

How about this for a "mobile library"? Households volunteer to host a "book house" which is stocked with books. People passing can borrow / add / replace a book and so the mini library continues.... What a wonderfully simple public service...!

Beginnings...

A journey begins with one step and (with some trepidation) I start my sabbatical. The hope? To rest, have time out to reflect on calling,  ministry and what it might look like in the future - personally and within the context of Ruthin.... So, a prayer: Loving God , in my journeying and my resting, in my listening and or reflecting please guide me and lead me afresh to the light of your truth, Jesus. For I ask in His name... AMEN .

Metropolitan Cathedral, Brasilia

Wednesday was a sharp contrast to the natural beauty of Amazonia - the capital city of Brasilia. This city replaced Rio de Janeiro as Brazil's centre of government in the 1960s (and it shows - sometimes in a good way!) Under the visionary leadership of President Juscelino Kubitschek ( stayed in a hotel named after him) the city was designed to bring together the diverse talents and skills of the newly independent Brazil. Established in the desert area of central Brazil, the city is a superb example of the work of architect Oscar Niemeyer, urban planner Lucio Costa and landscape architect Burle Marx ( see picture in previous blog). Their futuristic dream of a perfectly modelled 'city state' is evidenced in the many (literally!) ground-breaking buildings - some now sadly showing their age... I was able to join the 80 or so midday worshippers of all ages, gathered to celebrate the Eucharist and, for me, this was also an opportunity ( in contrast to the Amazon) to thank God